Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Kitchen Clean Up and Lent

Today is Fat Tuesday, and Lent starts tomorrow.  Past years I have given up numerous things like cookies (always hard because it is Girl Scout Time), the elevator (lasted a day), soda, tea, chocolate and so on and so on.

Many of these years I failed.  Not that I wanted to but because I don't think it what was God wanted me to do, but what I wanted to do.  I have had years when I felt God leading me to give up something and it turned out to be the best thing for our family.  Amazing how that works. 

Well, this year I decided to take something on instead of giving up . 

 Let me give you some back story.  Bo and I were married many years before having Boo.  When it was just the 2 of us we had lofty goal of paying off our house by the time Bo turned 40. It was just one of those things that was mentioned at dinner one night and some how it stuck. We worked several years at it, but didn't come anywhere close before having Boo. I went back to work after having Boo.  I was miserable. Boo was miserable.

Bo and I prayed and thought and ran the number and we came to the conclusion that I should stay at home.  We went from trying to pay off our house early to cutting every cost imaginable.  What a change. After two years of being at home I wouldn't have it any other way.

In those two years I have felt several times that we are still being called to get rid of our mortgage payment.
I know your question is how do you plan on doing that without winning the lottery or contest or inheriting a butt load of money from some distant generous relative or I don't know how else a person would pay off a house without a lot of hard work.

Except selling our house.  A house that the three of us love.  A house that is in so many ways perfect for us. And imperfect all at the same time.  A house that Bo owned before we were married.  A house we came home to after our honeymoon. A house Boo came home from the hospital.  A house my dad helped us paint and install ceiling fans.  A house that has been our home for so many years. And now I have this feeling we are suppose to get it ready to put it on the market.

Which brings me back to lent and a kitchen cabinet.  As I cleaned out the spice cabinet I was thinking about lent I was thinking about how many cookies or how much soda I could drink before the start of Lent.  Well, I don't think that is what I'm suppose to do.

I'm going to take on cleaning out one cabinet, drawer, closet, something a day for the next 40 days. While I do this I plan on praying for God's plan for our house, our attitude towards selling or staying, and remembering Jeremiah 29:11 knowing God has a plan for us.

No comments: