Monday, July 20, 2009

Lunchcation

I know lunch-cation is not a word, but if others can use the word stay-cation I can use lunch-cation. I walked around downtown today at lunch with my camera becoming a tourist in my own town. It is different seeing things as a tourist instead of just a down town working. I got a few looks, but I just ignored them and continued to take pictures. Some days we (Bo and I ride together to work) ride in on the interstate, Bo drops me off, I head to my office, and forget that history took place a few blocks away. Here is todays short tour of Montgomery...
This is the Capital. I would have taken a picture of the front of the building but they are doing something to the columns. It is actually a really pretty building. I love the green lawn around it.

This is the Alabama Archives and History Building. It has a really cool map of Alabama out front. I hope to show you that later in the week. I don't think I have been in this building since the 4th grade, but I do remeber thinking it was really cool. Maybe I should go visit one day at lunch.

This is the First White House of the Confederacy. It is really odd to see this house in among state buildings, and other businesses. It just seems so out of place.

This is a detail from the fence around the First White House of the Confederacy. The iron work is amazing.

Check Spelling
Tomorrow I plan to show you Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, and some of its detail.

1 comment:

United Studies said...

I feel the same way about our little town here in Virginia. There is a wealth of Civil War history within walking distance from our house, but have I ever visited the old jail museum or the Mosby museum?? :-)

Great pics...