Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Reading

I haven't really felt like sewing a stitch or painting a stroke, but I have wanted to turn a page. I LOVE to read, especially in the summer. This weekend I finished the book Quaker Summer.

The back of the book said: Every year I think there must be more to life, and every year, despite a new car or a trip to a new land, new milestones and triumphs in my son's life, or a redone deck, a pool, a spa, or entertainment system, I take stock and think once again, I was made for more than this. But I love my stuff.

This book is a Women of Faith Novel of the Year so I was expecting so much out of it. There were moments while reading this book that I was confused and I had to re-read sections to figure out what was going on. I have always have had a good rate of reading comprehension, so this was just agrivating. Sometimes details in the book weren't explained completely. Like the part about a Kangaroo. Where did it come from? And the ending left me wanting more.

There were parts of book I did like. Like that Heather was questioning the "stuff" that she has filled her life with and what more she could do if she was free from it. The concept of the book was good and the questions it asked were thought provoking.

In the end I just expected more than this book gave me. It will not be a book I will re-read. I will either pass it on to a friend or donate it to the library.

1 comment:

United Studies said...

I read this book about a year ago and feel the same way you do. It was a good book with a good message, but I think that as she wrote the book, she forgot what she had written. I was totally confused about the kangaroo, too.

It would have been much better with better editing, I think.